I don’t care what anyone says, I love being a tourist! I’m always immensely grateful whenever I have the opportunity to travel and see a new place. Last week was my first time in New York City. I went to perform with the young piano star, Ethan Bortnick, at the APAP conference (check him out if you haven’t yet).
I was definitely “that guy” in awe of all the bright lights in Times Square, the guy trying for the perfect artsy B/W shot of the subway, and the guy struggling to figure out the metro-card machine. But it’s okay, that’s what you do when is your first time… let the over-posting on Instagram commence, right?
I was with some great people and had a blast for three days in the city. Here’s a quick guide based on my short time there. I hope you find this entertaining and/or helpful.
Gary’s Dead Simple Easy Guide to Have Fun in NYC in 3 Days
*disclaimer: I’m aware I know next to nothing about NYC. If you disagree with anything in the following guide…you’re probably right..ha! But I had fun, so there*
- Spend a lot of money on a warm clothes. Get a coat and wear long johns under your clothes, especially if you’re from SoCal. I severely underestimated how cold it would be in January. Even with a great coat I was freezing at times.
- Go with some fun people. It makes all the difference. Band shot below with Ryan Skiles, Sam Price, and Jeff Dennis.
- See a famous person. We ate at Lucky’s Burgers and on the way back to the Sheraton there’s Sting walking on the street! My brother’s wife saw this pic and said, “Nice to see he’s still with The Police.” Nice Rachel. #DontStandToCloseToMe
- Get lost on the Subway. Buy a metro card, download a NYC subway app, and try to get from A to B. At the end of day 3 I had a decent grasp of the different lines. Also get the app 1-hour photo. Surprisingly fun way to take photos. Got a great shot of the subway with it – see below.
- Download Lyft and Uber. Enter promo code: APPSTORE on both. You’ll get a $10 free ride on each. Great when you tired of walking/lost on the subway. Also if you use this code on Lyft, we’ll both get free rides – GARY009574
- Eat great food. This is the easy one. Just about anywhere you eat is going to be freaking amazing and expensive. Here’s the short list of some of the great places I ended up at. Great food/value at each.
- Artichoke Pizza. Crazy good pizza.
- Lucky’s Burgers. Super friendly. Great fries and sauces.
- Alfie’s. Amazing brunch + free drink with your meal.
- Rex Coffee. One of the best mocha’s I’ve ever had and friendly folks.
- Lindy’s. Killer chicken noodle soup
- The Halal Guys. NYC staple. Meat, rice, and bread never tasted better
- Gray’s Papaya. Best. Hotdog. Ever.
- Doughnut Plant. I have the Creme Brûlée doughnut… good.
- Stay at the Sheraton Time Square. Use the lounge on the 44th floor. Free Starbucks coffee, snacks, water, sodas 24/7, and an amazing view.
- Bring good walking shoes. I messed up on this one. My Chuck Taylors were killing me by the end of day 3.
- Lastly… stay for more than 3 days. There was so much more I wanted to do/see but couldn’t. Next time I guess.[youtube id=”fYUJI9vtI48″]
That’s it! Have any NYC travel tips of your own to share? Let me know in the comments!